Ictalunis punctatus

Meet Me!

I am Brittany Long, a junior double majoring in Biology and Psychology with a minor in Chemistry.  I hope to someday attend medical school and become a pediatrician.  I am from Seneca, WI, a small town about 45 minutes south of La Crosse.  There, my parents own 80 acres of land. 

When not at school, I like to spend time with my friends and family.  I also love being outdoors, turkey and white-tail deer hunting, fishing, playing piano and singing.  No matter what, I always make sure I am home opening weekend of rifle season. 

I chose the channel catfish because I have always loved spending time on the river.  Catfish are my favorite fish to catch and of course eat!  My father has taught me everything I know about hunting and fishing and I thank him and my mother for providing me with the opportunities to become an outdoors, get my hands dirty, girl.

This website was designed for Organismal Biology as my semester project.  Please visit my classmate's pages to learn more about the complexity of our natural world right here in the Midwest.  Multipleorganisms.net provides links to a wide variety of student websites for viewing.  Also, if you are interested in more information about the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse please click here.

Please feel free to email me with any questions or comments you may have.  My email is long.brit@students.uwlax.edu.  Again, thank you so much for visiting my website.

This was the first turkey I called in myself.  He, along with six jakes walked
out of the woods into the field where my blind was.  He weighed 24 1/2
pounds and had a 7 3/8 inch beard and 7/8 inch spurs.

Nice Catch!

Since fishing is such a large part of my family, we made sure that our foreign exchange sister from Brazil experienced it.  That day, we found a underwater rock pile housing many catfish and had the best time ever.  It was so exciting seeing my "sister's" face when she caught her first fish out of the Mississippi River just south of Lynxville, WI.
As mentioned on the Nutrition page, catfish do not actively search for food during the day.  Here, we found a catfish hole and simply dropped our stink bait covered rubber worms into it.  The channel catfish would bite the worm almost immediately and would put up a good fight while reeling them in. 

When he was 4 years old, my younger brother caught
his first fish. 
It was a channel catfish caught out of the Mississippi River near
McGregor, Iowa.

On July 15, 1973 my grandpa caught this channel catfish out of the Yahara River where it meets with the Rock River near Janesville, WI.  He hooked the beast at 6:10 pm and 45 minutes later, the fish finally reached the boat.  The catfish was 37 1/2 inches long and weighed 18 1/2 pounds.  If you would like to try your luck in the Yahara River also, click here!

Watch the video below to see Scott Laukhuff catch a great channel catfish! 

Home

MultipleOrganisms.net