What else about whooping cranes?

-Whooping cranes can reach speeds up to 45 mph in flight!  So next time you're driving that fast, think about a whooping crane flying right next to your car window with no problems at all! 

-Whooping cranes use thermals and air currents while flying to save energy by gliding.

-Imagine running for more than 7 hours.  Do you think that you would quit before then? Me too.  Whooping cranes, however, can stay in flight for that long and more!

-The remaining whooping cranes cost between $25,000-$50,000 a piece to maintain!

-Sadly, it is believed that of all the chicks that hatch, only about 1/4 reach the Texas coast.  This may not be totally true anymore, however, because there are different flocks now and, like mentioned on my Habitat page, there is a non-migratory flock in Florida.

-Whooping cranes often will migrate in scatted family groups, but they always follow the same general route to and from breeding and wintering sites.

If you want to see more pictures of whooping cranes and various other species that interact with this crane, click here to visit my Gallery! Or go to my homepage here.