Joseph Yard

I am currently a student at the University of Wisconsin - La Crosse.  I am taking classes to prepare myself for medical school.  My background is in business rather than life sciences, so the class that I created this site for, Organismal Biology, is really unique for me.  I have obviously seen many species of organisms in my life, but have never really seen all the interconnections between all of them.  I have been surprised by the fact that all of the plants and animals that I am familiar with contribute very little to the vast number of organisms that collectively make up the great biodiversity of life here on our planet.  I grew up in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota and for the most part I have lived in the Midwest my entire life. 

Why am I interested in Red Wigglers?

I have never really been one to jump on the band wagon to “Save the Whales,” “Save the Planet,” or “Go Green.”  But, one day as I was making eggs for breakfast held onto the cracked shells of those eggs and thought to myself, “I should really compost these egg shells.”  I quickly consulted “Uncle Google” and found out a bit about composting.  It looked pretty boring and it was almost winter time so I thought maybe this wasn’t going to be worth it.  Then, I stumbled upon vericomposting and thought “Cool!  Maybe an hour or two later I had ordered a thousand worms online and in a couple of days ­I was vericomposting!  I never would have imagined it, but now I am really conscientious about recycling and what goes in the waste basket at my home as well.  I don’t know why I started doing it, but I enjoy it now and it feels good knowing that I am helping the environment in my own miniscule way. 

I hope you enjoy this site and maybe consider making your own worm composting bin for your home.  If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at yard.jose@students.uwlax.edu.

As mentioned above, this project is small piece of a large collaboration of work by the students of Organismal Biology at the University of Wisconsin - La Crosse.  To see more of the web pages created by other students please visit Multiple Organisms

www.MultipleOrganisms.net