Contact Me

My name is Kim Kolb and I am a biomedical science major at the University of Wisconsin La Crosse. I came here in the hopes of becoming a doctor, but have since switched my major to Pre-PA. I would really like to be a clinician in the Oncology department of a hospital.

When my professors in Organismal Biology asked us to do a web-site about an organism, the first thing I thought was there is no way I can do something that involves that much technological knowledge!

Then they said pick an organism that has medicinal benefits and I got pretty excited. I googled "organisms that treat cancer" and Salinispora tropica was about the third thing that came up on my search. Honestly I was a little skeptical when I first read "natural treatment" for cancer, but it didn't take much research to find out how revolutionary it really is!

Being a relatively newly discovered organism it was difficult to find things that I could understand about this organism. Most of the published material is scientific journals. If you are familiar scientific literature you know that it isn't the easiest material to understand. At one frustrated moment I looked at my references and realized that one of the names came up on almost every one of them, Bradley S Moore. The first web-site I saw when looking up this organism was an interview with this man and I noticed that he worked at Scripps Institute of Oceanography in San Diego. It just so happened that I was headed there for my spring break. So, I e-mialed him and asked if I could shadow the lab and interview him.

After a month of waiting for a response I got an e-mail back saying that I could shadow at the labs. One of his students accepted the task and I was able to tour the labs and ask all the questions that I needed to to get this webpage finished! Here are some of the pictures that I took at the labs. Other pictures I took can be viewed on the home page and the habitat page.

The picture to the left was taken in the Moore chemistry labs and is where Salinispora is isolated for the collection of secondary metabolites. Below is a special room where Salinispora is shaken and salinisporamide is withdrawn from the organism.

I really hope you enjoyed my webpage! If you would like to contact me you may do so at kolb.kimb@uwlax.edu.

Home
References