Think that was fun? Read this!
are some facts
that I found pretty
- Have you ever heard that dolphins sleep with one eye open?
Well, it's true! They sleep this way so they are never completely
asleep. This allows them to be on the look out for predators and
so they won't sink!
- Each gender has its own name. Males are called "bulls," females are
called "cows," and their
babies are called "calves."
- Wild dolphins have been known to save sailors and those lost at sea
- The strength of a bond between two dolphins is shown by how they swim
together. The more in sync they are with one another, the deeper
- Atlantic spotted dolphins are
related to the Bottlenose
dolphin, Spinner dolphin, and even Killer whales (which are not whales
but actually dolphins).
- Wild dolphins do the acrobatics we see at amusement and water
parks to help them see their surroundings.
- Dolphins slap their tails on the water to show their annoyance level.
- If a fish is swimming away during a
meal, a dolphin can hit the
fleeing fish with its tail which stuns the fish. Then, the dolphin
will eat it.
- Many people believe that dolphins are always happy because they
always have a smile on their face. However, this smile is fixed.
So, dolphins (just like any other organism) can be happy, sad, angry,
annoyed, and many other emotions.
Go back home
Keep going to find out a little about