Home‎ > ‎


The sulfur tuft may look like your average mushroom you might buy at the grocery store, but it contains poisons that you probably don't want to be putting on your pizza!
          Photo © Michael Wood. mykoweb.com

The caps of the fruiting body of the sulfur tuft range in size and color. The caps of the mushrooms are anywhere from 2 to 7 centimeters across, and are smooth and rounded off on top. The color of these mushrooms varies from pale yellow, to gold, to light orange. Because of this, it is often mistaken for an edible mushroom such as Honey Mushrooms. However, the poison associated with this fungus causes it to have a bitter taste and have many horrible side effects that onset within as little as five hours. Some of these side effects are diarrhea, vomiting, impaired vision, and possibly death.

© Larry Grand. messiah.edu