Caution Chlorophyllum molybdites present


Important Interactions with Other Organisms


How does this fungi interact with nature?

Chlorophyllum molybdites competes with the grass for nutrients (like Carbon, Nitrogen, water, and so forth) in the ground. Often times it wins over the grass, thus depriving and killing the grass. Fortunately, the fungi also replenishes the grass as it decomposes (leaving organic material behind for the grass to consume) and moves outward. The fungi then gathers new nutrients from areas that have not been diminished. So basically this fungus has been doing the new "ego-friendly trend" by recycling things such as leaves and logs back into the soil as nutrients. As my mom would say, "That's so hip!"


Are there organisms that eat this mushroom?

Yes, different organisms react differently to toxins and chemicals when ingested. When we eat them we become very sick. However, some animals such as rodents and squirrels do not show any symptoms of being poisoned. Studies were done in the tropics observing the interactions between mushrooms and squirrels. In this particular study the eastern grey squirrel was seen eating both the C.molybdites and also Stropharia aeruginosa, a possible poisonous mushroom without side effects. This is why it is never reliable to eat a mushroom just because you saw an animal eating it, every species reacts differently.

What are the effects on humans and animals?            

This mushroom is considered poisonous and you should NOT eat it. Children and domestic animals like dogs are the most likely to be affected by this mushroom. Their body sizes are much smaller and so the toxins in the mushroom have a bigger effect on their bodies. Often times many young children and dogs tend to play in the backyard and ingest this mushroom without parents noticing.

Watch your dogs and children when they are playing alone in the back yard. Check to make sure there are no C.molybdites growing in the yard where they can reach them. Dogs and children are more likely to be affected by the poisons in the mushroom than adults are. For tips on how to get rid of these poisonous mushrooms in your yard check out the facts page.


Are there any symptoms that go along with consumption of this mushroom?

Good question, yes there are many symptoms:

-Serve vomiting and explosive diarrhea
-Cold and Clammy feeling
-Abdominal Cramp
-Low blood pressure


These symptoms typically appear between 1 to 4 hours after eating. If symptoms are delayed and do not show until a day later then a different often more toxic mushroom was consumed and medical treatment should be sought out. However, the symptoms of C. molybdites can last a few hours to two days depending on how much was eaten. In severe cases those infected may face gastrointestinal hemorrhage and bloody diarrhea and should go to the hospital immediately.

Generally, people who ingested the mushroom do not need to go to the hospital as their body will take care of the toxins. Sometimes patients can get dehydrated and need to go to the hospital to get fluids to correct their electrolyte imbalance.  Those that do need medical attention are sometimes given activated charcoal, a common chemical used to stop poisoning. Magnesium citrate is also used to excrete the rest of the bowel movement to get rid of the toxins in the stomach. Remember that all individuals are different and react differently to various organisms. Some don't notice any effect of eating this mushroom, while others have severe gastrointestinal problems. Consult your doctor if you think you may have ingested a toxic mushroom because I am not a doctor (yet).

Home Page                                                                                                                                       Next Page: Facts