Bacteria and You

Streptomyces griseus and its streptomycin have many intricacies that will be described here along with some miscellaneous facts.

First off, a couple other interesting things about streptomycin is that due to its great overall effect on eliminating bacteria it is commonly used as a pesticide to fight off bacteria that may otherwise ruin some perfectly good crops;  One of these bacteria that can ruin crops isPseudomonas syringae, you don't want this bacteria to ruin perfectly good garlic!  This, along with the fact that streptomycin is also cleared and is effective in treating Yersinia pestis, more commonly known as the "black plague." Another dangerous bacteria to our teeth is Streptococcus mutans, follow this link to find out why.  Tooth Degradation

(Provided by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)

Along with all the interesting medical achievements streptomycin has accomplished, there is a bacteria that has thrived in the soils around the world, keeping to itself.  When I chose this organism for the overall creation of this website I was mostly interested in the different ways streptomycin is used in today's world.  However, I soon learned how intricate and interesting this bacteria was, along with its genetic neighbors, some of which hold promise to have new antibiotics to further erase many of the illnesses that harm us now.

With further study of these bacteria, new antibiotics can be discovered!    (Provided by The United States Department of Veterans Affairs)

With this and everything else I have provided in this website I hope you have found it not only interesting, but also allowed Streptomyces griseus to open your mind to the complexity that bacteria have and how useful these organisms are to their environments and to our wellbeing.                                                                                                                                                                                               With that, I hope you have enjoyed reading and now I encourage you to enlighten yourself on some other organisms, as there are many more web pages if you follow this link.  Good luck and hope you learned some interesting information today!

Multiple Organisms